Did You Know?
This section is numbered and will be updated periodically.
1. Lafayette's firefighters have developed the Fire Victim Relief Fund, known as the Burn Fund and managed by Doyle Boudreaux. This fund gives thousands of dollars in gift certificates to fire victims to purchase essentials. All of which comes out of our pockets. Also available to anyone after a fire, is two nights lodging at Shoney's Inn, and Doyle has recently recruited the Red Roof Inn as a sponsor. We then contact the American Red Cross who provides at least 1 month of housing. Also available is clothing from Goodwill. Lafayette's firefighters are committed to our community!
2. Union firefighters are so devoted to the profession that many serve on their area volunteer departments. This has proven to be very beneficial to these communities due to the professionalism these members bring with them. Local 619 is proud to announce that the following members are Fire Chiefs of these volunteer departments and many more serve as volunteer firefighters.
3. An Austin, TX Fire Department study concluded that reduced staffing means" A higher risk for victims due to delays..." (that's you). The study also showed that when crews were reduced to 3 firefighters the result has been increased use of sick leave due to stress as well as a doubling of the overtime budget and a complete loss of morale.
4. A Five person fire crew is 100% effective, a Four person crew is 65% effective and a Three person crew falls to only 38% effective. Lafayette is so understaffed that nearly all stations operate with only 3 person crews.
5. Lafayette firefighters are #1 fundraiser in Acadiana for 2000 - $81,300. The IAFF is the #1 national sponsor of MDA with $14 million in Y2K.
6. Lafayette firefighters are #1 fundraiser in Acadiana for 2002 - $110,000. The IAFF is the #1 national sponsor of MDA with $18 million in 2002.